Approach Database . . or Filemaker Pro

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:25:32 +0000

I look forward to Dean's upgrade out of DOS but it needs to be
as simple and useable as PSM.  I've tried all the Windows 95
demos and for my money (which I've already spent of course) PSM
is the best (dongle and all).  Very simple and gives me
everything I need for a typical customer. Multiply pianos,
memos/piano or customer, moving appointments is a effortless.
I can upgrade to get rid of the dongle but that's another
$95.00.  Since I don't use a laptop yet...I will be getting RCT
at sometime in the future...the dongle isn't a problem.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> Date:          Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:35:41 -0400
> From:          Carl Root <rootfamily@erols.com>
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: Approach Database . . or Filemaker Pro

> Greg ,
>
> If I understand your post, you are trying to decide which application to
> use for your records.
>
> Making a layout for Filemaker is very easy.  You set up relationships
> and then include any combination of fields from these files in layouts
> you design.
>
> My primary layout has all the clients information on one page.  It also
> includes three portals.  A portal is a window that allows you to scroll
> through one or more records of a related file.  Again, the number of
> fields and the layout within the portal is up to you, only takes a few
> minutes to set up, and can be changed at any time.  The portals I use
> allow me to look through a client's service history, contact
> information, and number of pianos.
>
> Other layouts include a scrollable list of all the clients due to be
> called, sorted by zone and map coordinates.  I've also put together a
> one page summary of the day's appointments that include address,
> directions, etc..
>
> Non essential curiosity questions are a snap as with any relational
> database.  How many grands did I tune last year? List all my pianos,
> serial numbers and year of manufacture (much easier to update
> information than using Pierce's.)  The big difference between Filemaker
> and dBaseIV and perhpas other applications is that displaying related
> pieces of information from various files is quick and simple.
>
> Dean hopes to redo PSM some time in the near future in part so non DOS
> users won't need to use RealPC as an interface.  He says he'll probably
> use Filemaker Pro.
>
> I'll be attending an FMPSig meeting tonight.  I've barely scratched the
> surface with this thing.
>
> Carl Root, RPT
> Rockville, MD

David Ilvedson, RPT