Exception or rule?

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:42:34 -0600

Hi,

The school has purchase the price point UST-8 instead of the over built
UST-7. The pianos are identical except that the UST-8 frame is much lighter
and much more flexible--ok for a home where it is *never* moved, but a poor
choice for a school where it will be moved a dozen times a day. Tell them
to *spend* their dollars wisely and upgrade to the UST-7. Penny wise and
pound foolish!

At 10:07 PM 1/26/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a question which affects recommendations I make for piano purchases.
>I do not sell pianos, but I am often asked what brands are good.  One of my
>recommendations is Kawai.  But I am wondering whether I can continue to
>recommend Kawai.
>
>A school nearby purchased a new Kawai studio (UST-8C, serial A89257)
>because they had an older Kawai studio which they loved.  This new one is
>not of the same quality.
>
>One of the holes for a plate bolt is stripped.  Some tuning pins are loose
>enough to remind me of a fifty-year-old piano.  The fall board had to be
>repaired (glued together) at my first visit before the piano had even been
>used.  The sound is less rich.  There were other problems, too.  Over all
>it reminded me of a low quality American (ouch) made piano.
>
>This Kawai has required a significant pitch raise each of its first two
>tunings and a tremendous amount of regulation each time.  This is unlike my
>experience with other Kawais.  And the music teacher is not happy with this
>one.
>
>So, is this an exception or the rule?  Or is there a certain line of Kawais
>one should avoid?  What's been your experience?
>
>Arlie
>
>Arlie D. Rauch
>Glendive, MT
>
>If you have nothing better to do, check out
>http://members.tripod.com/~Turbooster/.  You'll be glad you did.

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://www.dlcwest.com/~drose/