DC PADS

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:26:15 -0500

David Renaud wrote:

> Has anyone tried a substitute materials for D-Chaser pads.
>
> DC recommends against it, but if the material
> material is fireproof, and wicks water, why not??
>
> I have never used anything but DC material,
>
> Primary motive would to make some client
> change pads more often, without much cost.
>
> Any ideas, objections, experiences............
>
> Just a thought....curious....
>
>                                 Dave Renaud
>                                 RPT
>                                 Hull, Quebec
>                                 Canada

I suspect that thicker materials would hold more water than the factory
pads. (I often find dish cloths in the buckets.) With thicker pads,
perhaps the heater bar won't produce enough heat to vaproize the water
at the same rate as the original pads.

This may result in longer times for the system to cycle between
dehumidify and humidify, resulting in a different humidity in the
piano.

The pads are not very expensive and a single package lasts one year (2
years for grands).  So I can't bellieve that cost is a real factor.

My objections stem from my engineering background.  The system was
designed within certain parameters.  If you modify that system, you
can't expect it to perform as designed.  You may also not be covered by
any warranty.

Also, use the fungicide that DC sells. It really works well and pads
last longer.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild