Sat III help?

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:54:24 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ed:

In the SAT III there are 198 pages of memory. Just above 198 are 4 pages
for tuning sequences (storing aural tuning order), the next
page is titled 1-7t where the first 7 historical temperaments are stored
(it only takes 12 notes to store one historical temp.) Therefore on this
first page for historical temperaments, one HT can be stored from C1 thru
B1, another HT can be stored from C2 thru B2, a third HT can be stored
from  C3 thru B3, etc. In other words the SAT III program can pick out
the 12 variations from equal temperament for say a Young Well Temp.
and apply those deviations throughout an FAC calculated tuning on a lower
page of memory so that every C will have the deviation which you have
stored in that one octave location which you have previously stored.

In the supplemental manual for SAT III under the paragraph heading titled
Storing a TEMPERAMENT, you will find a chart kinda like this:

 PAGE 1-7t
Oct 1 C1-B1      stored temperament # 1t
Oct 2 C2-B2      stored temperament # 2t
Oct 3 C3-B3      stored temperament # 3t
Oct 4 C4-B4      stored temperament # 4t
Oct 5 C5-B5      stored temperament # 5t
Oct 6 C6-B6      stored temperament # 6t
Oct 7 C7-B7      stored temperament # 7t

 PAGE 8-14
Oct 1 C1-B1      stored temperament # 8t   Kirnberger
Oct 2 C2-B2      stored temperament # 9t   Meantone 1/4 Comma
Oct 3 C3-B3      stored temperament #10t   Meantone 1/6 Comma
Oct 4 C4-B4      stored temperament #11t   Prinz
Oct 5 C5-B5      stored temperament #12t   Vallotti - Fairchild
Oct 6 C6-B6      stored temperament #13t   Werckmeister Temperament
Oct 7 C7-B7      stored temperament #14t   Young's No7 Temperament

You will notice that the values in the Vallotti and the Young are similar.

The first 7 are left blank so that you can easily fill in your own.
The second 7 are there for your easy use.

You were correct in how to call up an HT alteration (hold down the blue
SHIFT button and hit the PAGE up button 8 times to get the Kirnberger, or
hit the PAGE UP button 14 times to get the Young to alter some previously
selected FAC tuning or some other equal tempered tuning already in a
page of memory of its own).

If you wanted to tune an organ in a Kirnberger, select a blank page of
memory, call up the Kirnberger by holding down the SHIFT button and touching
the PAGE UP button 8 times. Be sure to keep OCTAVE set at 3 while tuning
below C3 (the memory notes from B2 down to A0 are tuned by their 6th
partials so their pitches would all be tune almost 2 cents off).

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me. BTW thanks for
all you good posts of the past and the terrific CD you made

Jim Coleman, Sr.