Player piano sustain pedal problem

Bill Kidd bkidd@tilc.com
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 01:37:26 -0800

J Patrick Draine wrote:

> Dear List:
> I usually avoid working on player pianos, but I got sucked into this one.
> It is a Melodigrand upright player, with an apparently well rebuilt player
> mechanism. New hammers were hung on the original shanks; otherwise the
> action parts are original. Including the damper felt. I was planning on
> CAGing the loose tuning pins, pitchraising 100 cents, repinning wobbling
> Billings flanges, adjusting lost motion, and tweaking the sustain pedal
> adjustment to stop the dampers' ringing. Everything but the last part went
> well.
>
> I *thought* the ringing dampers could be adjusted simply by putting some
> lost motion in the pedal-sustain rod interface. I forgot that there's a
> pneumatic control attached to the sustain rod ...
> What's the proper adjustment for this setup?
> TIA,
> Patrick Draine

You aren't overlooking the possiblity that something like a warped pedal
rod is causing friction at the sustain pedal pneumatic, are you?  Does
the sustain pedal work ok with the pneumatic disconnected? I dont want to
insult your intelligence, but it is usually necesary to have a trap
spring to raise the pedal and the "pelican"spring must be in good shape.