WTB - Lyon and Healy segmented brass rail

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 03:17:48 EST

WTB = want to buy

I just picked up an action from a 1908 Lyon and Healy big old upright, for
repair.

 It has brass rails for the hammer butts, but the rail is deeply cut between
each butt section, leaving only about .050" of continuous brass rail. The
flange section for every butt has a screw, and that section of the rail can be
unscrewed and wiggled until the slight brass bridge fatigues and breaks,
allowing  the flange for any particular butt to come out. This allows for any
broken tangs to be easily replaced with a new section, although there are a
number of brass repair clips that seem to be working.

Does anyone have one of these segmented brass rails that they would like to
sell?

I figure the easiest way to repair the action would be to replace a dozen or
so rail sections, but it might also be possible to use a wood flanges. Have
not thoroughly checked things out yet, but I wanted to get a jump on the
repair by asking about the availability of an old rail.

Please contact me off-list if you have such a rail, or on-list if you have
repaired a similar situation in a different way.

Thank you,

Bill Simon
Phoenix