Tech tips

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:53:42 -0600

Dear List,

Tech tips:

1.  Have a bunch of cords that need to be fastened together and unfastened
regularly (like the cord to the foot pedal on my Accu-tuner)?  Twist ties
will work, but they eventually get broken.  A better suggestion is to use
double sided velcro tape.  Cut off a length about 3" or 4" and just wrap it
around the bundled cords.

2.  Carry an old pillow in your service vehicle.  Why, you ask?  Handy for
short naps!  But more importantly, when you install a Dampp-Chaser system
under a grand piano that is sitting on a spider dolly, you will appreciate
having some padding between your back or head and the hard metal frame of
the spider dolly.

3.  Small 30 year old console, sustain pedal squeaks very loudly.  Suffice
it to say that after 45 minutes of removing and installing the action
several times, tightening screws, lubricating parts, and doing everything
else I could think of, the squeak was still there.  Baffled, I rechecked
everything and eliminated every other possibility of a squeak.  But the
squeak was still there.  Luckily I remembered an article by Susan Kline
recently published in the JOURNAL a few months back where she used an old
hymnal to prop up the bottom board on an old upright to stop a squeak.  So
I got a piece of 5/8" thick scrap wood and placed it directly under the
bottom board underneath the pelican spring for the trapwork ... instant
success!   No more squeak.  I told the customer that the next time the
piano was moved, they could have it tilted on its back and I could tighten
the bottom board screws, but until then, the problem is solved.

Bravo Susan!

4.  Note to self ... Get all the training in piano technology that I can.
Knowledge, experience and skill will help me increase my income.  The only
thing that matters in business is whether I can do the job or not.  If I
can't do the job or if I can't do it well, or if I do it slowly,  then my
potential for income is reduced.  Some people don't care how much it costs
to have the work done, they only want the best quality work.  If I can't
deliver the goods, they will find the person who can do the job even if it
means paying out the wazoo.

Have lots of fun and don't forget to post your trech tips.

Sincerely,
David A. Vanderhoofven

Heard last night from a potential customer...
Potential Customer:  How much does it cost to tune a piano?
Me:  A standard tuning is $XX.XX, but if there are repairs or if the piano
is badly out of tune there is an extra charge.
Potential Customer:  Well my piano sounds good to me.  It was tuned about
10 years ago, and we have moved about 5 times.
Me:  What kind of piano do you have?
Potential Customer:  It is an upright Kawasaki.
Me:  (Trying very hard to stifle laughter)  Call me if you are interested.

(I wonder if I should go to the local motorcycle shop and pick up some
spark plugs before going to this man's house!)