Knight spinet

adkpiano adkpiano@breathemail.net
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:00:42 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Clyde Hollinger <cedel@redrose.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: 29 January 1999 03:44
Subject: Knight spinet

>Friends:
>
>Once again I came across a piano action I am unfamiliar with.  The piano
>I saw for the first time yesterday (Knight spinet serial 11597 made in
>1952) appears to be in nice condition but was seriously out of tune due
>to neglect and loose tuning pins.  Also, very shallow keydip caused some
>multi-striking hammers.  I never before saw a piano with such short
>keys; the sharps had less than 3" (8cm) between the balance rail pin and
>the back end of the key!
>
>Question 1 - Is there are way to increase keydip "wholesale" that I am
>unaware of?  The only way I could think of was to raise the balance
>rail, but then the keys would be too high for the name board strip.  I
>didn't see any way to lower the front rail.  How did the piano get this
>way in the first place?
>
>Question 2 to anyone who is familiar with this particular piano - What
>is the purpose of the stationary capstan dowels underneath the wippens?
>
>Question 3 - Where many American spinets would have key forks, this
>piano has a wedge-shaped slot in the end of the key, into which the
>sticker wire snaps.  Due to the snugness of the sticker wire, don't I
>run the risk of cracking the key when removing and replacing the sticker
>wires?
>
>Should I even worry myself with this piano?  I thought Knight pianos had
>a good reputation, but should I just walk away from this one (is it an
>oddball design) since the owners don't seem to care anyway?  The
>blubbering hammers really bother me.
>
>Clyde Hollinger
>Lititz, PA
>
>Hello Clyde ,
Your question have some straightforward answers ....
Answer 1 : It's probably best not to raise the rail . Assuming the piano is
structurally OK try this .. Remove bottom panel . You'll see a the capstan
bar [stationary capstan dowels underneath the wippens] Relgulate this as
normal for hammers lost motion . The purpose of these is the solution to
your problem .
Answer 2: My american terminology isn't great . The dolly wire which
connects the key back to the undercarraige is 'regulatable'. There's a
wooden button resting on the key back with is on a threaded part of the
wire.
. This is your built in key leveling. Regulate it . You can remove these
wires usually without fear ... they're notched into the key back - arent
they ?
Why would you want to replace them ??!

These action are usually trouble free , although admitedly they do look odd.

I hope i've got this action correct . There are a few circa variations.
I've got about 1/2 a dozen of these on my books , and usually they're worth
it . Size really does matter .. to some poor souls .

Have fun

If this reply hasn't helped email privately
adkpiano@braethemail.net

Alan King Mpta
Scotland uk
{about 300 yards from the Clyde - the river}
 ps When regulating the hammer lost motion , obviously don't used the key .
Tickle the capstan with you finger . Fine regulate latter .