George Winston

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 23:41:55 -0700

Hello all...

I just wrapped up a concert with George Winston this evening.  An
outstandly nice person to work with.  I can't remember the last
time I have worked with someone who really wanted to know the
technician and just chat a bit.

An interesting tidbit about G.W. for you.  Those who have already
worked with him are certainly aware of his unique tuning
preferences so  this is for the rest of you.  George has his own
special varied temperament that he likes to use.  In general he
is rather flexible about it and "requests it if possible".  At
any rate his agent sent me the famous "George Winston Special
Notes" sheet.  The following is the "Temperament ala George" and
is designed to be used on a Steinway D.  These are the stretch
numbers you would use on an SAT:

Key No.     cents

1                -20
2                -19
3                -18
4                -17
5                -16
6                -15
7                -14
8                -13
9                -12
10              -11
11              -10
12               -9
13               -8
14               -7
15               -6
16               -6
17               -5
18               -5
19               -4
20               -4
21               -4
22               -4
23               -4
24               -3
25               -3
26               -3
27               -3
28               -3
29               -3
30               -3
31               -3
32               -3
33               -4
34               -2.5
35               -2.5
36               -2
37               -2
38               -2
39               -2
40               -2
41               -2
42               -2
43               -1.5
44               -1
45               -1
46               -1
47               -1
48               -1
49                0
50                0
51                0
52                0
53                0
54                0
55                1
56                1
57                1
58                1
59                1
60                2
61                2
62                2
63                2
64                2
65                3
66                3
67                3
68                4
69                4
70                5
71                5
72                6
73                6
74                7
75                8
76                9
77               10
78               11
79               12
80               13
81               15
82               17
83               19
84               21
85               23
86               25
87               27
88               30

The result is a noticable extra wide stretch.  Obviously each
piano must be adjusted accordingly to it's own merits.  I found
his tuning to be a little on the wild side and I compromised it
somewhat.  He was very happy and the show went on without a
hitch.  I was also required to touch-up the piano during the
intermission. (A slightly uncomfortable task before 1,500
people!)

One extra little nicity I'll add.  Just prior to his encore
selection he took a moment to thank all those who contributed to
the program.  I was the only person he mentioned by name: "I'd
like to thank Rob Goodale, the piano tuner, for his outstanding
job with the piano".  (Woaaaaa, a brisk swift of ego overcomes
me).  But seriously, I would expect some new piano customers to
be calling soon after that!!  Talk about your free advertising!

Thanks for putting up with my tuner-tales!

Rob Goodale, RPT