Raise from the dead?

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:16:48 -0700

During my recent George Winston experience, (see my post), I made
a rather unpleasent discovery during the prep work.

We have had quite a number of visiting performers over the last
year or so.  Unfortunately they have all had different requests
on the voicing.  In alternating fashion one would want the piano
bright, the next would want it soft.  Repeatedly, (and
foolishly), I granted their requests.  It wasn't until recently
after a meeting with a few concerned others that it was decided
that there was going to be restrictive limits on how far I would
go in changing the voicing.  Too little too late.

George likes 'em bright and in general that is the preference of
the university faculty and staff.  Having regretably brought the
piano down again for the last time for the previous composer, I
began to voice the hammers up again for what would become the
final destination for this piano.  To my horror I stumbled upon
an unwelcome discovery.  The hammers in the mid-treble were
beyond voicing.  They had given their last breath for the
previous performer who wanted it soft again and were now
completely void of all tone. I tried hardening, then needling in
various directions, hardening again, needling from the side, the
strike point, all in vain.  Clearly these hammers were dead.  All
my efforts resulted in either hard and tinny or soft mush.

Fortunately for me Mr. Winston was very understanding and even
complemented me for my efforts.  Without regard to this one
performance, however, I need to get this piano sounding good
again in a hurry.  Clearly this section of hammers will need
replacement.  In the meantime, however, I am wondering if anyone
has a golden secrete that I might try to raise these hammers from
the dead?  I thought about possibly lightly drowning them in
acetone.  That may loosen up and flush out a good portion of the
previous hardener applications.  On the other hand this may cause
the felt to do something really wierd or weaken the glue on the
molding.  Just a thought.

So, any suggestions about how I could possibly save these things,
even for the short term?

Thanks for your input.

Rob Goodale, RPT