Raise from the dead?

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 10:37:38 -0500

Replace the set entire!
On a performance piano don't even try to revive them.
If you want to try 'flushing' them then soak them entirely.

Set the tone the way YOU want it (in collaboration with the faculty) but
basically how you want it to sound in it's hall.  YOU are the expert so
do it your way.

Voicing is like tuning, it is never done, but do NOT change it for
anyone.

If someone wants a different tone tell them to get rent what they want
to hear, you are not going to make any changes for anyone unless you get
the approval from the chair or the dean with the understanding that they
are risking $400 worth of hammers and $2,000 work of labor.

Get a new set as fast as you can and yank the olds ones off and throw
them away.

This is a been there done that situation so don't let the _s__es wear
you down because they will try.  Any good performer is far more
adaptable than are the hammers are, and if they are not adaptable then
they will not improve with different tone.

The lesson here, as you now know, is that a performance piano MUST be
ready, no matter what.  And you are the 'what'.

Sorry, I don't like anyone messing weith my pianos or with my head about
my pianos.  My opinion is the only one that counts.

			Newton