George Winston

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 09:23:28 -0700 (MST)

HI Rob:

I looked over the GW tuning requirements. This list of cents settings should
not be taken as an excellent standard for tuning a piano. For one thing,
it does not mention by which partial each note is being tuned. For a second
thing, jumps of 1 cent in the critical temperament area do not make for
smooth graduation of parallel intervals. I'm sure that this is meant as a
guide for the lesser experienced tuners he meets in wide variety of venues
in which he plays. The most important thing in tuning for him is to have
impeccable unisons that are socked in so securely that they don't move
afterwards. Much of his playing style involves heavy playing with the
dampers raised. George does some very nice things in his playing technique
which require that the dampers do work when they are supposed to work, and
the sostenuto functions properly and the repetition works flawlessly, and
the voicing is rather smooth and perhaps on the bright side. This is the
main purpose of his advance flier.

As you say, he is really pleasant to work with.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS I believe a standard AccuTuner FAC tuning would be quite appreciated by
George Winston and would be better than his minimum requirements. So would
an OTS 6 RCT tuning. The numbers George gives are probably more applicable
to a PT 100 tuner since I notice a one cent jump from G#4 to A4 and that the
Bass does not show a decided transition from using one partial to using a
different partial (typical fault of PT 100 tuning schedules).