PTG question

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 10:50:39 -0600

Orlando Fiol wrote:

>Hello listers,
>
>Not being a member of the PTG, I was wondering a couple of things.  I've
>been tuning for over ten years now and feel like I could pass the tuning
>part of the test with pretty flying colors.  Could I just take the test
>without taking any classes or do I have to take some classes to become
>certified?

There are no specific classes prerequisite to taking the exams. Some
examination centers require (and PTG recommends) pre-exam screening, to
give an indication that potential examinees are sufficiently prepared for
the exams. Presently, only PTG members may take the RPT exams.

>Also, is the tuner's certification different and separate from
>the tech's?

There is no tuner's certification. Our credential is the "Registered
Piano Technician," given to those who pass three exams, a written exam, a
tuning exam, and a technical exam.

>I'm not a tech yet at all, just a tuner, but figured that
>while I'm learning the tech part of it, I might benefit economically from
>being a member of the PTG and such.  Please forgive me if I am asking dumb
>questions.  I just wanted to know how the whole PTG thing actually works.

These are great questions. Speaking for myself, I have benefited greatly
from PTG membership. My piano technician education has come 100% from
PTG-related sources.

Kent Swafford