From a Blind tuner.

vinny_samarco@ima.connections.com vinny_samarco@ima.connections.com
Sat, 30 Jan 99 11:56:32 -0500

Hi Orlando,
          I just read through your posts on the PTG list and wanted to
          meet you.
          My name is Vinny Samarco and I am also a tuner, but not a
          registered Technician.  I am primarily a pianist and teacher
          of piano and music history, though I have been tuning for
          over ten yearws' also.  Are you familiar with the Emil Fries
          Piano Hospital and Training Center? This is a wonderful
          school for the training of both blind and sighted tuners,
          located in Vancouver Washington.  If you want customized
          training in every aspect of piano tuning, this is the place
          you should check into, if at all possible
          I spent four summers there plus a few extra months and
          learned a tremendous amount.  The staff is highly dedicated
          to help prospective tuners so that they could pass the PTG
          examination upon graduation from the school. I could not
          complete the program because of family situations as well
          and the situation with y hwork, however, I am in contact
          with a number of my former instructors.  These men have and
          continue to be a great help to me as I tune and regulate,
          and continue to learn.  I can write privately if you have
          any further questions.

          I don't know what the currentcosts are, but the program
          takes two years to complete.  Like myself, you may be able
          to get some kind of grant to help with the cost of school
          and tools.  For more info contack: The Emil Fries Piano
          Hospital and Training Center 2510 E. Evergreen Blvd,
          Vancouver Wa, 98661: Phone: Area Code 360-6931511.  Or you
          May Contact Don Mitchell at  dsmitch@pacifier.com.  He can
          send you a braille or a print catalog, and give you all the
          info about the school.

          Good luck.
          Vinny Samarco
          A tuning student