balance rail pin polishing

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 20:41:43 -0500

What do you use to polish front rail and balance rail pins?  I use
BRASSO polish.

Is this ok? Is there anything better?

How do you treat badly corroded front and balance rail pins other than
replacement? I've used steel wool and it solved the problem, but I've
been told it nicks the finish and will lead to premature key bushing
failure.

Finally, does anyone market a cleaning tool for these pins?  Danny Boone
describes one in his book, but it requires a used case from a hypdermic
syringe. These are not readily available.

...looking forward to your advice.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild