balance rail pin polishing

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 11:33:20 EST

In a message dated 1/30/99 9:06:49 PM Central Standard Time, fcahill@erols.com
writes:

<< Finally, does anyone market a cleaning tool for these pins?  Danny Boone
 describes one in his book, but it requires a used case from a hypdermic
 syringe. These are not readily available. >>

Frank,

For balance rail pins, I put two or three wool balance rail punchings inside a
5/8" socket. I attach that to a 1/4" drive that fits into your power driver.
Just put some brasso on the balance rail punchings, and allow the driver to
spin on the pins. To keep the punchings in the socket, I use a balance rail
punching remover uner the socket as it comes off the pin.

You can use the same process for the front rail, except that I use a 3/4"
sokcet packed with front rail punchings. When you have done all the pins, take
a rag and clean off the pins.

The balance rail socket can alos be use to polish capstan screws.

Willem Blees