George Winston ... and Others

Dick Beaton rbeaton@initco.net
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:19:51 -0700

Hi All from Montana..
I have worked for Geo Winston for many years.  He has changed his
requirements somewhat over the years.  I've used FAC and he is happy with it
in a Yamaha 9' concert grand.  When he wanted certain hammers softer, I
would wait until the tuning just before the concert and rough up the left
edge with a fine wire brush so it didn't last very long.  He is rightfully
fussy about unisons.  I find him to be a very nice person to visit with and
work for.
He is really fussy about outside noises....he can hear the fans in the
lighting system off left stage.  They put special lights up above him and
the piano. This quieted it down for him, but at intermission I found the
piano 5 cents flat because of the heat.  He didn't notice it and everything
went just fine.  Actually he later sent me a CD with a "thank you" letter
...Enjoy
Dick RPT MT
-----Original Message-----
From: Avery Todd <atodd@UH.EDU>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Sunday, January 31, 1999 7:34 AM
Subject: Re: George Winston ... and Others

>Should we swap concert stories now?

   Well, since you insist. :-)

>Last night I had the honor of working with Chick Corea here in Detroit ....

This coming Friday begins our International Piano Festival. This year it
starts with a recital by Evgeny Kissin, who unfortunately for me, will be
performing at one of the downtown halls because this one is co-sponsored
by the university and a performing arts society. I won't get to tune for
that one, though.
   Saturday will have Abbey Simon and Sunday, Stephen Hough. Simon & Hough
will also be giving Master Classes. Yoheved Kaplinsky, Chairperson of the
piano dept. at Julliard, will also do a master class as a substitute for
Kissin.
   Should be an interesting and busy weekend.

Avery