Too Wide Wippens

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:59:36 -0400

At 8:32 PM -0400 6/23/99, VOCE88@AOL.COM wrote:
>What has been sent is about 1/32" too wide at the flange and the wippen.
>Any help
>is very much appreciated!!

Don't feel shy to trim them yourself on a bench belt sander. I had two sets
of Tokiwa/Able pre-hangs on Chickerings (a 123 and a 5'7"). The fat was on
the shank at the knuckle area, not the flange. This was back before I had
the bench sander, so I made a table saw jig, but the sander is much
simpler. Just be sure before you do each side to press any centerpins
involved out the other side by a mm., so that the sander doesn't ever grab
ahold of them. Yes, this means pressing them  out for both sides, and a
little final trimming with the flush-cutters. But it's far better than
having the belt wrench the pin, and deposit metal fragments in the bushings.

Bill Ballard, RPT
New Hampshire Chapter, PTG

"So, I hear you like baked goods"
A new customer, very happy to see me