RPT's ... tested or grandfathered??

Eugenia Carter ginacarter@msn.com
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 11:01:36 -0400

Brian,

Yes and yes. However, it has been my experience over the last 15 or so =
years that these individuals who participate in the exam process are =
very experienced and dedicated technicians who volunteer a great amount =
of their time to administer our exams. Every time I participate in any =
of them, I learn something new.

Yes, there are many RPTs today who have not taken the current exams. =
Most of us are included in that category since the most current changes =
to the exam were written: 7/17/91, technical 6/1/90, and tuning =
(unified) 1/1/98. Yes, there were many technicians "grandfathered" into =
the RPT status when our exams were unified to a specific standard. These =
technicians had, however, taken some form of the PTG Exams, but the =
exams they took were not standardized as they are today.=20

When our exams were standardized, and I think this process began around =
1984 or so but I'm not sure, Council decided that those who already had =
earned the certification of what we now call RPT would not have to =
retake the exams, i.e. they were grandfathered into the category.

No system is perfect, but in my opinion that was a good decision since =
even today we lack testing facilities to accommodate re-testing of all =
our members.=20

Hope this helps some.

Gina

Gina Carter