Second guessing methanol

lance lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 15:18:44 -0500

Ed,
Living in one of the most if not THE most humid climate, I use Methanol and
water all the time, Steinways included.  I use either straight Meth (seldom
- usually on newer actions just a little sluggish), Meth and 5-20% water,
or one of these combinations with a hair dryer.  I usually use 15-20% with
dryer on _badly_ frozen actions.  I seldom repin.  I have over dryed with
the hair dryer and have had to repin some that were overdone in the past.
If the problem comes back seriously, I talk dehumidifiers/with H-2's.  When
the DH is added it never recurs.  Also, I spray the pinning wholesale with
a small tightly focused spray bottle.  I don't carefully drop it on each
center.  Never had a problem.

My most common recipients of this method are Samick, Young Changs, and any
piano Stencil name they make.

P.S.  What about the poison?  Jog my memory please.  I remember the list
discussing it's toxicity a while ago.  I know I'm probably not careful
enough, I breathe it (hair dryer evaporates it right up at you) and I get
it on my hands pretty often.

LANCE LAFARGUE, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANO SERVICES
New Orleans Chapter
Mandeville, LA.
II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II
lafargue@iamerica.net

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to
make them all yourself."