getting serious about methanol

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 23:37:38 -0400

At 7:40 PM -0400 7/4/99, A440A@AOL.COM wrote:
>    This isn't squaring with my results.  Straight methanol loosened up the
>bushings, many of them too much so.  I would not think there was any water
>worth consideration, since this was straight from the pharmacy to the action.
>
>Wondering,
>Ed

Two years ago on the list, I mentioned that a Sherwin Williams tech rep
told me that their denatured alcohol would have no more that 0.5% water
content. Someone on the list replied that alcohol was hydrophilic (I just
now made that word up), and upon being unsealed, would begin to drink up as
much moisture content as it could, from the surrounding air.

I have never known alcohol to work any effect on wool. Anytime wool was
affected, water was a player. Ed, were your actions in air conditioned
studios? If so, that climate might explain the inordinate effect you report
in the face of others' experience. Help yourself to a weaker dose of water,
starting out with 70/30 isopropyl alcohol. On second thought I'm sureyou
already have. BTW, I was taught to repin also, probably by ther same guy.

Bill Ballard, RPT
New Hampshire Chapter, PTG

"So, I hear you like baked goods"
A new customer, very happy to see me