Was Key Leads, now CA and thanks

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:41:36 -0500

>>Jim Bryant (FL) wrote:
> You can't make this so that it doesn't "recur".  You can perhaps 'slow it
>down' by attempting to seal the lead/wood but you can't stop it.  The only
>way to stop this expansion/corrosion is to; pull out the old leads, clean the
>holes, repair any cracks and insert new leads.

Jim and all that replied, thanks for the advice. I had already decided to
replace the leads, and did one keyboard yesterday much faster than I could
have shaved them all down. The big problem was that, being a not great
grand, all it had was 5/8 lead and the holes in the bass were expanded by
the swelling. In desperation, after repairing cracks and sizing holes in
one key with my usual glue, I ran to the hobby shop got gap filling CA and
accelerator and zoom. Man that stuff works well for gluing cracks with no
clamp time. I'm a convert. Although I dont think the final effect is as
elegant as I would like, and I would never use it on an antique or
interesting instrument, the time saving was amazing and on a cheap piano
that makes all the difference.

Thanks again,