detuning

David Nadworny nadlane@earthlink.net
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:19:33 -0400

Chris:

I never had a customer like this, but it happened to a colleague of mine =
during his apprenticeship years ago in Northern Ireland.  The client =
hadn't had a tuning in many years, and the day after his tuning, his =
company received a complaint.  Seems the piano (Steinway grand)  had =
lost its "voice."  His mentor accompanied him back to the client, =
listened to her complaint, and asked for 15 minutes to correct the =
problem, which he did by knocking 2 strings of every unison out of tune =
with his tuning hammer (the original tuning, by the way, was perfect).  =
The client, of course, loved the result.

In your case, you might think about pressuring 2 out of 3 strings of =
each unison with a mute, just enough to put them slightly out of phase.  =
Removing the action will make this easier in your case.  If this is not =
sufficient, use the tuning hammer.  In my opinion, a client's =
satisfaction overrides any consideration we as technicians may have =
about what constitutes a "proper" tuning.  We get to do our work and =
leave, while they must live with and play what we've left behind.  If =
this client likes your response to her requirements, you'll know what to =
do next time (and have a great story to share at conventions) !

David Nadworny, RPT
Medford, MA
nadlane@earthlink.com
=20