Piano 'detuning'

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:19:15 EDT

Bob writes:
>>This customer deserves for you to recommend a local "tooner" who can give
>her
>what she deserves to  have...

Greetings,
     I would do it her way.  Perhaps only tuning the first time, then making
the action changes after she got over the newness in the sound.
    There are a lot of instruments that take advantage of the choral effect
by "detuned" unisons.  I play a hurdy gurdy, and its twin chanterelles sound
much better if I break the unison by about 8 cents, ( always lowering one
from its harmony pitch).
   The out of tune unison has a presence that a Just one doesn't, and it is
not without its beauty,  so even though I am most often paid for
purity,(:)}}! that doesn't mean I am going to argue with one of country
music's biggest names when he asks me to come back to the house and "loosen
it up a little".   That is the sound he grew up around, and that is the sound
he wants.  As Paul Simon sang, "Keeping the customer satisfied......"
Regards,
Ed
(Lawdy, am I out here in public justifying bad unisons?  geez............(:)}}