ozonation

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:10:03 -0500

Greetings, List.

A friend of mine has a 25-year-old Yamaha vertical that was in a house fire.
The piano itself will be OK, but there was some smoke smell in it.  They
hired a company that cleans carpet to clean their furniture and rugs.  They
used a process in which all the smoke-affected items were placed into a
large trailer and "ozonated."  (I'm not sure if that is a real word, but
they continously circulated ozone into the trailer for four days in order to
remove the smoke smell.)

The piano was among the items inside the trailer, and it came out with no
smell whatsoever.  This was the first that I had heard of such a process.
Does anyone know much about it?

Thanks.

John Formsma

P.S. The cost of this procedure was $1500.  It was amazing to see the
difference in the rugs, which before were sooty, and now are clean.  All
their furniture was salvaged, and the $1500 was money well spent considering
what it would have cost to replace it all.