Steinway questions

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 12:08:57 EDT

Roger:

Ditto just about all of what Newton said, of course, with certain emphasis:
Install hammers/shanks AFTER dampers are installed and regulated.  All the
more important with the sostenuto type action (which still takes forever to
regulate, and probably must have the damper block screw inserts installed
also...).

I always quote hammer/butt/flange replacement as a minimum.  The piano
currently in my shop was the first of about 8 or 10 Steinway vertical
rebuilds I have done with butts which might have been reused (A few years ago
I let one slip by with old butts which should have new ones - I want to catch
up with it someday).  Most Steinway verticals I see have had too much wear to
save the butts.  Even when the buckskin still looks smooth and unworn, the
new parts are so good, and I can't get myself to hang new hammers on old
shanks anymore, so it's better to just replace the butts and flanges.

I have made the mistake of using the original damper levers.   If you do its
a real crapshoot when the next one will break.  On my current project (a
really clean, hardly used "V" getting delivered this week), the customer
opted for the "economy" rebuild, and did not replace the levers;  four have
broken in the shop with normal handling.  I have taken pictures in order to
show future customers.

I now try to sell a damppchaser installation with the Steinway upright
rebuild, and also repin on the "loose"side (I'm using 3/0 on this piano, and
the pins feel good).  Snappy pins with strings that render too easily are a
formula for early retirement (especially if you just regulated a Steinway
vertical with the old type sostenuto).

We rework the wippens if they are not replaced.  We replace jack springs,
repin jacks (often loose) and whip flange (sometimes tight) centers.  We
break the jack flanges loose and reglue.    Why not just replace wippens? New
parts are expensive and it is better to have someone in the shop do this work
than to have these old wippens haunt you for years.

The reward is that the old Steinway upright really plays when rebuilt and
well-regulated.  Gotta finish this one now -

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA

<< Wally Brooks has Japanese made direct replacement parts for old S&S
 uprights that are superbly made, fit perfectly and are easy to work
 with.  These are expensive parts but they do work.

 I am working on my second action with replacement parts.

 Some suggestions.

 If butts and levers are in good shape then replacing the flanges can
 go a long way to a functioning action.

 Remove all the parts except your samples.

 Check the pinning of then install the butts, keep them aligned at 90
 degrees to the rail.  Keep retightening the screws.

 Install new damper levers but keep the damper blocks.  They are
 drilled at the exact angle needed to make them work best.  If you need
 to replace any block make them from similar materials and drill the
 angle exactly to it's neighbors.  If these blocks do not have metal
 inserts then install them.

 Install the damper levers, align the wires, install the blocks and
 install the new dampers.  Be careful because there is little room for
 the operation of the damper levers between the spoons, action and the
 strings.  Get the dampers working PERFECTLY, muting, timing,
 alignments, before installing the hammers.  This is the most time
 consuming operation of them all.  Adjust the spring tension of the new
 springs before installing the hammers.

 You travel the butts by rotating them around the screw.  Shimming the
 flanges spaces the hammers.

 Figure that this action will cost you at least twice the time of a
 regular action.

 Lots of luck. >>