Dropped Piano

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:43:07 EDT

In a message dated 7/8/99 11:33:00 PM !!!First Boot!!!, nucnomad@tcac.net
writes:

<<  1. would you sell this piano to your customers or would you repair it.
2. would you recommend that the piano be replaced.

 The insurance company of course feels that the first technicians diagnosis
is correct, however, I do not want to find out that after 2-3 tunings that
the plate was actually cracked and subsequently fractures thereby, leaving me
with a non-functional piano.
 Please send me your expert opinions.

 Thanks in advance,
 P.T. Calzaretta >>

On the one hand, those older pianos were built like a rock. Dropping one on
its back will probably did not do it any harm, except to the case, as you
stated. The plate is bolted to the frame, and probably did not sustain any
warping as it fell. It is that kind of strain that would crack a plate.

On the other hand, you never know. What if a one of the support struts got a
small crack, which, over time, and the pressure of more tunings, will become
bigger and bigger.

Although the insurance company would love to get out from having to pay for
new piano, I would suggest you the owner to get a guarantee letter from them,
stating that they will pay for a new piano if something is discovered up to
five years from now. (They probably will not do that, so you might have to
get nasty, and talk like you are going to see a lawyer.)

I certainly would not sell the piano.

Willem Blees