Bridge notching?

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:26:14 -0400

Hi,

I'm trying to improve my bridge notching.  It's pretty good, but I'd =
like it to be better.  The problem I've been having is that it is very =
easy to slightly round over the edge of the notch on the top of the =
bridge with the back of the chisel.  Any of you been there? =20

I've been using a standard Marples 5/8" chisel.  I believe the bevel is =
somewhere around 25 deg., but I don't have an exact angle.  It does help =
a lot if it's well sharpened.  But is there more to it?  Would it be =
better to reshape the bevel side of the chisel (which I have down when =
cutting out the top part of the notch) so that it's more of a rounded =
shape, more like a scoop?  Is there a special tool just for this =
already?

Just want to make em' as good as I can.  :-)

Also, more as a postscript, I had a problem with wandering drill bits =
when I drill out the bridges.  You may remember the thread.  I tried =
making my marks, and then using a sharp awl to mark them much deeper, =
perhaps 1/8" into the cap in the direction the pin would go.  That was =
the ticket.  The drill just followed those marks all the way.   I just =
finished up a set of bridges yesterday, and they turned out great.  =
Thanks to all for the suggestions on that one.

Best wishes to all,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net