repairing an "ebonized finish"

John Gunderson jgunderson@monmouth.com
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:28:46 -0400

I have an Ibach grand from turn of the century.  The cabinet is an
"ebonized" finish and is in good condition.  The only problem is that
the slots on either end of the music desk (where it rides in & out on
the glides) had been damaged.  Some one had the damage repaired.  It
looks like it may have been done professionally at a millwork somewhere,
the two damaged sections cut out and a veneer of maple was spliced in on
each side.  The repair is structurally sound,  the desk fits properly on
the glides and moves in & out and the top surfaces where the pieces were
spliced in have been leveled and finely sanded.  The problem is that the
repairs are unfinished.  I would like to try to blend the repair in with
the rest of the cabinet.  I need some advice on how to do that.  I don't
want to just paint the music desk.  Black lacquer just doesn't match an
ebonized finish.  Does anybody have any experience with "ebonizing".

Thanks,  John Gunderson, Neptune City, NJ