repairing an "ebonized finish"

Robert B. Edwardsen edwardsn@rpa.net
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 10:02:08 -0400

Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:

> Hi John:
>
> One other thing to consider is that at the turn of the century, lacquer
> was not in general use. Your finish may have been varnish or shellac.

Here's and interesting passage on the development of lacquer and its' use in
pianos which shows that lacquer was not used until the 1920's:

"Dupont had developed a lacquer spray (nitrocellulose) after World War I as a
fast-drying coat for automobiles on the assembly line..........Murphy Varnish
Company in Newark, NJ was commissioned under DuPont to develop a lacquer for
pianos.......This new, fast drying-drying formula transformed piano making at
Steinway & Sons.  What once took months now took days."

>From "Steinway & Sons" (page 140) by Richard K, Lieberman, a great book.

Rob Edwardsen