Gaveau-Paris

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:17:16 -0400

Paul,

I would like to respond to the rebuilding part of your post.  As I see
it, the only sad part about this situation is that the piano deserved
much better.  If the client paid only $800 for oversize pins, all new
strings and even a mediocre case refinishing, she got more than her
money's worth, don't you think?  And she admitted she couldn't afford
more than that.  I feel worse for the piano than the client.

Then there is also the possibility that the person who did the work
never claimed to do a complete rebuilding.  Things get twisted.  I've
wondered already, when I told the owner of a cheap spinet that it hold
its tune well, if they don't tell their friends that I said their piano
is good quality.  And I also recall the 25-year-old Kawai grand I
service that desperately needs a new pinblock, but the client is sure
she was told it needs a new soundboard (which has nothing wrong with
it).  Oh well....

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA