was accu-tuner now tuning question

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:30:27 -0400

At 07:10 AM 7/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>List and accu-tuner experts,
>   I have a question about  octave stretch when using the accu-tuner.In the
>area of the piano we generally use 4:2 octaves such as the mid range, I
>sometimes  will tune the octaves aurally and then check to see what the
>accu-tuner says about it using a FAC tuning on a page of memory. I am
>talking about a well scaled piano and a FAC that fits pretty well. What
>seems to be the case with me is that no matter how conservatively I try to
>make the octave stretch the accu-tuner still says the octave is sharp(I'm
>tuning the upper note to the lower) using the third tenth test listening to
>fourths and fifths as well. When I set the octave to the machine and then do
>the tests the octave sounds kind of flat or at the very most pure. I'm
>wondering if others have observed this or I have just been pushing the
>envelope of stretch so long that I'm used to this more aggressive style. It
>is most noticeable on low inharmonicity pianos. It seems like with a
>Steinway there is more room to customize the octaves and the accu-tuner
>seems to agree with that.
>   I would think the different octave choices on the Cyber-Tuner would be a
>great advantage to electronic tuning. Even though I have been tuning for
>years, the above question is kind of a beginner question and I believe in my
>own case that using an electronic device for tuning has hurt my aural skills
>alot. Does anyone have thoughts on these items?
>Doug Hershberger, RPT

I'm no expert with the SAT, but I did notice the same thing when I first
got mine, and would adjust by ear when this happened (10th beating slower
than 3rd midrange). The SAT III has the capability, like the others, of
stretching the octaves by using the Double Octave Beat button. When I
notice this situation, I set the D.O.B. till it sounds right and then
proceed from there.

Ken Jankura
South Central PA Chapter, PTG