was accu-tuner now tuning question

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:37:23 EDT

Gretings,
Dan writes:
>I'd like to hear more from Ed Foote as to how much stretch to use for
>particular styles, and from you and the rest of the list on stretch for
>various types of pianos.

    I don't think I am qualified to define style requisites in terms of
stretch.  I have found some venues that benifit from more attention than
provided by a straight FAC.  The recording bass players are very sensitive to
stretch, and studio pianos I keep the bottom end sharper than optimum.  This
allows ensemble clarity, and the producers are very sensitive to the piano
and bass hitting together, both in tempo and pitch.
     For this, the SAT III's octave button is useful, and I put a -.2 in
there for the first octave,  -.1 for the next two, and then zero it for the
rest of the tuning,  I avoid problems.  This almost sounds clunky, but there
is no noticible break in the octave widths, at least none that has attracted
attention.  There is less overall resonance when the upper partials of the
lower notes are sharp of the fundamentals farther up the scale, but this is
not a problem in this venue.

     About the jazz world, I am just learning, and hope to hear more about it
a the convention.  In general, a lot of sharpness, ( stretched octaves) gives
a buzzier sound to the thirds.  One of my lounge customers described it as
having a lot of "churn", and he like it.  Jim Coleman's perfect fifths
temperament is useful in this job.

I've heard that your "C" number should *never*
>(well, hardly ever) be lower than you "A" number, and that raising your
>"C" number will give you additional stretch in the high treble.

     Hmm,  raising it will sharpen your treble, but many of my tunings have
the A higher than the F or C.  Dr. Al could tell you how the two values are
balanced in the machine,  but I have found the FAC results to be spectacular
with the big pianos,  way beyond the musicias' ability to detect
irregularity.  If there is a request for more or less sharpness, the
manipulation of the FAC numbers will allow  the machine to smoothly,(more or
less) give you a "bent" tuning that fits your use.
Others??
Regards,
Ed