Kranich & Bach

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:19:22 -0400

I worked on one a few years ago, before I knew better :-), and I think the
action is very much like the old steinway uprights. I remember the brass
3-coil lock washers on everything, and the fact that the dampers are pinned
in place, that is, the dampers could not be removed from the flange except
by taking out the centerpin (unlike the Steinway), which makes it a royal
pain to work on. The tuning pins were wonderfully tight and I was amazed at
the quality of the sound, old strings and all. The strings run at a rather
radical angle to the plane of the soundboard, if I remember correctly.
Funny flip-around music desk and great ivory. Little brass cups instead of
capstans. It's probably worth not very much but might make somebody real
happy to play it, if it's fixed up. Go for it and good luck.
Ken Jankura
Newburg, PA