Baldwin Action Problem

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:24:39 -0700

I'm not sure the model number of the two pianos in question, but it is
not the 243 or Hamilton.  It is larger, and I think it's the 6000.  It
has the front panel hinged at the top edge with a brass insert in the
front panel.
    Since the bolt is inserted into the action bracket, and the hole
into the plate is fixed, there isn't much room for it to move down
anyway.  I don't think the strike point is going to change much.
Whether the bracket is under stress or not, the bolt locates the action
frame where it's going to be, no matter where the support bolt is.  As
far as replacing the bolt if it's bent (they are already, quite
noticeably), I will  probably just bend them if necessary to get them to
fit into the holes.  I forgot to mention that only the 2 right hand
bracket holes are misaligned, the others are ok.  I will try to screw
the bolts up until they are snug and there's no movement at the bottom
of the bracket.  I can compare them to the two left hand brackets.
    The two pianos are under warrantee, and I work for the dealer, so
I'm not getting anything extra one way or another, save a good education
in the matter.  I do wish Baldwin would stick with the other system of
action brackets which have the studs  coming out of the pinblock.  I
just hate to think what I'd have to do if the bolt holes stripped out.
Using a socket wrench to start the screws is a good idea (thanks!).
    Thanks again, y'all.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego