Regulating Woes

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:04:50 -0600

>Note     DW    UP   BW    FR
>C1       53    36   46    8.5
>F1       56    36   44    10
>C2       48    33   40.5  7.5
>F2       54    33   43.5  10.5
>C3       54    33   43.5  10.5
>F3       56    33   44.5  11.5
>C4       52    32   42    10

Hi Terry,
             you are in the 57gm range where I suggested you would end up.
To Steal a couple of extra grams to drop the weight, you can fudge by
shimmming the hammer spring rail with some 0.050 BR punchings.
You can fudge the sharps by pushing them back 1mm. How ever it may be worth
while to change the key height from mid C to mid E and analyse the results,
after a few variants you will find the best position.
The up weight is higher than what I have usually found, and this why I'm
questioning key height, along with different results on the sharps. Have
the keys been recovered? Let me guess, YES.  Unless about .30" is milled
off the keys before recovering, ( to compensate for the old Ivory) then
this will explain the difference in the sharp/natural relationship. If this
is the case then the only real solution is to recover the keys properly.
To compromise push the sharp capstans back a tad to narrow the gap in the
results. You are likely to end up with the sharp backchecks being uneven.
A good learning experience. inter relationship of, key height, dip, capstan
position, after touch and back checking , If you alter one it effects the
others, it sure helps you to understand how a vertical action works.
Regards Roger.

>F4       54    32   43    11
>C5       56    33   44.5  11.5
>F5       54    35   44.5  9.5
>C6       54    35   44.5  9.5
>F6       58    42   50     8
>C7       58    40   49     9
>F7       60    42   51     9
>
>I have had very little to do with weight measurements, so I don't really
>know what to look for. I can see that the balance weights are too high and
>friction is too low in some areas.
>
>I'll have to dig out my reprint book on Hammers and Touchweight and do some
>reading.

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina