Piano touch too heavy

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:46:44 EDT

What you do now is simple.  Do a rough regulation at your shop.  Reshape
hammers and lube the knuckles.  Set hammer line.  Do all you can before you
go back.  After final regulation in the piano after lubing and doing a good
regulation, the piano should seem even and responsive for the first time in a
long time.  I bet you will find them very pleased.

They are likely mistaking a bad reg for being a heavy touch.  Get all the rep
springs set on the fast side of correct and you should be pleased.

Ed Tomlinson
Vancouver, WA

 A Church asked me to give an evaluation and estimate on several of its
 pianos, one of which was a grand piano shorter than 5 feet -- sort of a
 LaPetite size.
 The hammers were resting on the rebound rail and the keys weren't level,
 etc., so I convinced him that it needed an action regulation.  As I was
 leaving with the action he said "It's got a heavy touch, see if you can do
 something about that?".  When I got the action on my workbench and did
 touchweight measurements I got downweights of 52 to 60 grams and upweights
 from 24 to 38.  These numbers are within spec as far as I can tell and the
 action should not feel heavy to the touch.  So what do I do now?  Any ideas
 or comments?