Uniform backcheck heigth

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:18:21 -0600

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:29:36 -0400 nhunt@jagat.com (Newton Hunt) writes:
> On the inside of the wires paint a little dot of liquid paper or
> white
> paint.  Use a pair of vise grips and hold the wire while turning off
> the old check and installing the new one.  Turn down until you meet
> the white line of the bisected dot.
>
> I would prefer to replace the felts and leave the wooden blocks
> along.  Soak the old backcheck felts with alcohol and water until
> they
> peel off.
Thanks Newton.  In my hast I already have the wood blocks removed,
stripped, and refelted.  Some of the backchecks were worn to the point
that I had to sand the block flat again as the wear had gone through the
felt into the wood.
  Allow the wood to dry for a day or two and get precut
> felts
I agree that is the way to go - IF you want to recycle as much as
possible.  Sometime in the past I had acquired a few strips of uncut
backcheck felt and figured this would be a place to use them up and get a
couple of them out of my hair so to speak. :-)