Convention musings

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:31:58 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/1999 1:23:24 PM, Lance wrote:

<<so voice before you tune.>>

Lance;
  This is really the wrong message to get from Rogers class, in my opinion.
Of course it may also be a chicken and egg question. :-)
  I don't know how to voice a hammer to A440, or 442, and I don't know anyone
else who does either though..........so I must be in excellent company.
  But in my view the 'pitch'/'temperament' is the standard setter not the
condition of the hammer thingee.  Of course when we voice, using whatever
method, we are changing the strings reaction to the hammer strike and it is
through minipulation of the hammer/felt that we acheive the desired result
and not by changing pitch/temperament on the piano.  While it is possible to
do a "rough" pre voicing on a set of hammers it is, in my opinion, impossible
to do a good final voicing unless the piano is in as good a condition tuning
wise as is possible.........all things being taken into account.

  Now as a disclaimer.............if the "voice before tuning" was a tongue
in cheek remark......disregard my comments above :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)