Convention Report

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:51:25 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/1999 3:27:34 AM, Tom wrote:

<<"Jim B, thanks for answering some nagging questions I still had about
knuckles.">>

Well thanks Tom but I was trying to ask questions more than answer them :-)

 <<"(Jim, did we ever resolve the grain direction on backchecks question?
After some thought, I'm changing my answer to downward, to stop the hammer
from bouncing up, yes?) ">>
  Yes. Since it takes less force to move the hammer farther over the
backcheck with the grain running down(toward the key) than when the hammer is
moving against the grain, the holding power is greater when oriented that way
and it takes less pressure to hold the hammer in check.  Or to put it another
way say 3 grams of pressure to move the hammer with the grain would translate
into aprox 3.8 grams to move it against the grain. Of course these values
change with different quality and condition of the buckskin.
  The holding power of a given backcheck depends on four things (at least)
Grain orientation
Condition/shape of hammer  tail
Strength of backcheck wire
Angle of backcheck
But that is a different discussion, huh?
Jim Bryant (FL)