Convention musings

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:29:09 -0600

Hi Jim,
           To clarify what took place in the class.
Usually the tuning stretch on a very bright piano will be about 10 cents
sharper at C88 than a well voiced instrument.
When doing a radical voicing job I use a stretch of a well voiced model
from my RCT tuning files, to do the initial tuning. Rough voice the
instrument tone quality down and then do  the fine tuning correction. If
you end up having to drop the top octave about 10 cents for the final
tuning that area ends up a little unstable, if you use the usual approach.
The regulation, string levelling and mating, and unisons must be clean
before you start.
Having said that the very bright old Wurlitzer spinet had more improvement
made to it's musicality by voicing than any standard tuning would have
achieved.
The point of the comment was. do a blind 5min voicing, as it would make
tuning this PSO a lot easier. Spend 5 min voicing and save 15min on the
tuning. The bonus is that the customer will think you are wonderfull.
Now I would have been really scared if you and Ron showed up to help me.
For most of the popular high end grands and studio pianos I have files of
typical well voiced tuning curves, it's a neat short cut for SAT &  RCT
users, and is a time saver.
Hope this makes things clear.
Roger

At 04:31 PM 27/07/99 -0400, you wrote:

>In a message dated 7/27/1999 1:23:24 PM, Lance wrote:
>
><<so voice before you tune.>>
>
>Lance;
>  This is really the wrong message to get from Rogers class, in my opinion.
>Of course it may also be a chicken and egg question. :-)
>  I don't know how to voice a hammer to A440, or 442, and I don't know
anyone
>else who does either though..........so I must be in excellent company.
>  But in my view the 'pitch'/'temperament' is the standard setter not the
>condition of the hammer thingee.  Of course when we voice, using whatever
>method, we are changing the strings reaction to the hammer strike and it is
>through minipulation of the hammer/felt that we acheive the desired result
>and not by changing pitch/temperament on the piano.  While it is possible to
>do a "rough" pre voicing on a set of hammers it is, in my opinion,
impossible
>to do a good final voicing unless the piano is in as good a condition tuning
>wise as is possible.........all things being taken into account.
>
>  Now as a disclaimer.............if the "voice before tuning" was a tongue
>in cheek remark......disregard my comments above :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina