need advice/rant-new piano problems/location of good piano tuning schools

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:53:34 -0500

Cynthia Ann Anderson wrote:
<snip>

> I am a public school band director by trade with a limited budget, and
> ended up getting the Young Chang PE 121-(48" Pramberger model).  I also
> ended up having to order the piano to get the finish I wanted-so I
> didn't hear the actual piano before it was purchase (yes, I know).
> When the piano was delivered it was grossly, unplayably, out of tune
> with several "buzzing" notes. The store sent somebody out 10 days
> later. After he finished tuning, while the front was still off, I told
> him about the buzzing notes--they didn't buzz any more-good, I thought.
> Immediately after the guy drove away, I noticed the same buzzing notes,
> some double striking hammers, and rubbing keys. (I was proud to have
> tracked down the source of the buzzes--they were loose screws in the
> fallboard hinge. That's why they didn't happen with the front off) Why
> the tuner didn't catch these things I don't know. I'm going to call
> back and have the store send someone out fix these problems. My
> thinking is that the store didn't do the needed prep work and are only
> going to regulate the piano to the extent that I notice problems and
> nothing else... My question is, what should I be looking for?  What are
> regulation or other problems often seen on this type of piano?  Any
> advice would be appreciated.

The double striking hammers are probably due to lost motion in the keys- a
common new piano problem and simple to fix.  Rubbing keys?  Perhaps they
need spacing but see what lost motion adjustment does first.  I would also
recommend completely removing the action and tightening every flange screw.
I often find them loose on new pianos.

As far as stores not doing enough prep work... yup, you got it.  I rarely
find new pianos properly prepped from the store with the possible exception
of an expensive grand.  They want them in and out in a hurry.  They are in
the sales business.  I have worked for two dealers and I can tell you I
rarely was able to do things to my satisfaction.  They would give me maybe a
half hour to an hour depending and I had to do the best I could in that
amount of time.  Unethical?  Probably.  Likely to change anytime soon?
Don't count on it.  I'm sure many people on this list can share similar
woes.  I would recommend bugging them continuously about it.  Don't let up
until you are COMPLETELY satisfied with the piano.  You bought it, you
deserve to get what you paid for.  Tell them you posted your concerns on
this list.  If that doesn't get them in gear it should.

As far as schools go I am not aware of any in your area. (Perhaps someone
else on this list knows)?  The Randy Potter home study program along with
the help from a willing local tech might be worth looking into.

Robert Goodale, RPT
University Nevada, Las Vegas