Boston Beans

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 06:27:14 -0500

Rob,

So far I've only tuned one Boston vertical (the UP118S), and I did not
observe what you have.  I did a small pitch raise, and a subsequent tuning.
Maybe that helped pitch and unison stability.  ???  Was the piano close to
standard pitch?  The piano sounded very nice when I finished, and I did not
have a call-back.  I assume everything is fine, but will know more when I
tune it in December.

I have tuned an older Steinway vertical.  Bad troubles on that one.
(  Very hard to tune.  When I got home, I remembered that someone from the
list had previously recommended a 10 o'clock lever position.  Too bad I
didn't remember it before I left it.  It did not sound very good, but I
could not improve it with the knowledge I had at the time.  I suppose
leaving it that way was the only thing to do.

Maybe you could try the 10 o'clock lever position.  On the Boston, I used my
"regular" one  o'clock position.

Best of luck,

John Formsma

P.S.  Let us know what you find out.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Robert Goodale
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 6:30 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Boston Beans

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get Boston uprights tuned
and stayed in tune.  ...<snip>

...  My specific peeve  at present is the UP118S and the family
of pianos included in this design.  The tuning pins flagpole
all over the place.  The slightest touch and the hyperactive
things change the pitch.  Taping the strings to the bridges
helps to a slight degree but it is not a cure.  I believe
the problem exists in pressure bar design or in the pins
themselves.  This is not unlike many Steinway uprights.  I
could be politically correct about it, (watch it boys,
Steinway is listening), but I think we all have experienced
these damn things.

So... I would be interested in hearing any techniques that
some folks out there might have come up with to deal with
these.  Please, help me regain my sanity!!

Rob Goodale, RPT
University Nevada, Las Vegas