7/8 Keyboard

Thu, 29 Jul 1999 08:19:13 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Vince Mrykalo=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, July 29, 1999 7:06 AM
  Subject: Re: 7/8 Keyboard

  I thought "normal" size for a keyboard was 48".  BTW Ed's temperament =
class was so persuasive, that I will again try a well temp for =
specialized programs such as an all Chopin one.  A very well presented =
class, Ed!

  =

  When I designed my first grand piano I did a little (to little, as it =
turned out) research on key headscales.  I was told by several folks =
within the company I worked for at the time there had been an =
"International Standard" of 1220 mm agreed to by most of the industry in =
the late 1940's.  So I acted accordingly and designed the keyset =
accordingly.

  On submitting the drawings to the keymakers (a division of this same =
company) I was told that they couldn't make keys to this width.  There's =
were something wider than that.  So much for standards.  I then did what =
I should have done in the first place and went out and measured what =
they were actually making.  Since then I have measured quite a few and =
have found that there is really no standard at all.  Everyone pretty =
much makes what they want to make.

  Personally, I would like to see key headscales just a little bit =
narrower than what we currently see.  Over the years I have encountered =
quite a few pianists (not all of them women) who have had difficulty =
reaching some of the common intervals found in standard piano music.  =
Yes, they have, for the most part, been able to train themselves to =
reach what they need to reach.  But not without some cost to their =
hands.

  This experience has indicated that a key headscale width of around =
1190 to 1200 mm might well be an improvement.  It's not enough of a =
change to require any great adjustment, but is enough to make reaching =
some of the wider intervals just a bit easier.

  Regards,

  Del