Getting New Customers

Wallace Scherer WallyTS@compuserve.com
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 21:51:56 -0400

After having spent three years in my area starting a new business almost
from scratch, I would like to share some recent statistics gleaned after
looking over my customer cards to see where they came from. This might
prove useful for any new techs getting started.

People from my church       42
Door to door canvassing     36  (about 40 hours, and leaving flyer)
>From another tuner who quit 29
Yellow pages listing        25  (10 months, about $200, top of listing)
>From my daughter's school   22
Referrals from customers    19
Personal/family contacts    15
Sign on my car              10
Mailing to 150 churches      9 (Two mailings in 3 yrs)
Mailing to 110 music tchrs   9 (Two Mailings in 3 yrs)
Place where I teach part tm  7 (Two years)
Referrals from other tuners  6
Community Phone Book YP      6 (Two years, not the phone Co. YP)
Referrals from teachers      5
University I tuned for       4 (During 5 month period)
Radio ads                    3 (One month each on two stations)
Business cards               2 (Placed in 3 locations)
Phone solicitation           2 (Called churches & schools when I arrived)
Coupon in Public TV's paper  2 (Ran once, cost $120)
Ad in "Trading Post" paper   1 (Ran 6 months, $10 per month)
Mailing to Public Schools    1 (2 mailings in 3 yrs)
Don't know                  14

Notes:
Even though I hadn't lived in the area much recently, I had maintained
contact with many people from my church for nearly 20 years.

About two years ago I did a survey on this list to get ideas about the
importance of Yellow Pages advertising. Most agreed at least a listing was
important. Being nearer the top usually gets more inquiries. When people
call I offer to send them an info sheet on me, a brochure on caring for
their piano, my business card, and my current price list. Most let me send
it.

Hope this is helpful for some.

I'd also be interested in learning any other good ways of getting new
business when new in an area. I'm sure some would say they work for a piano
store, getting referrals that way.

Wally Scherer
Norfolk, VA