Boston Beans

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 22:05:59 EDT

Rob,

Can't resist putting in my two cents worth.   A few months ago there was a
lengthy discussion on this list about Steinway verticals and tuning
stability.  If it is true that the Boston vertical has a capo setup like the
Steinway, then the friction is low at the capo.   The problem with the
Steinway vertical is that just the slightest tap will move the string,
because of low friction at the capo.  If the pin is pretty tight, tuning is
more difficult.  If there are no plate bushings, the pin will flagpole more
too (and they are 1/0 pins?).

I think the best scenario here is if the pin torque value is not very high,
and the tuning technique involves a consistent 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock lever
position.  A moderate test blow will also help, but the friction is not too
high, so repeated pounding is completely unnecessary.

If the pin torque is high (which is probably what you are dealing with),
well, good luck.     Pray for a few monsoons to crunch the block (sorry -
forgot you already had enough of those).  Too bad you can't use Protek.

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA

<< Lance Lafargue wrote:

 > Rob,
 > I tuned one the week before the convention and experienced the same thing.
 > I figured Steinway had transfered one of there designs/patents from their
 > uprights because I struggle with them, too.  I, too think it must be
 > pressure bar or flagpoling.  Too much friction in that capo area could also
 > be it. Kawai's don't have that problem.  I'm told to jiggle the hammer more
 > to set these pins. Other than that it was a nice piano.

 Thanks for the input!  I received a private e-mail yesterday suggesting that
 the pins might be 1/0 instead of the traditional 2/0.  I hadn't thought of
that
 so I will measure the next time.  This would explain a lot since the pin
seems
 to bend out of control.  I would even question the quality of the steal used.
 Bending can be a good thing to some degree but this is ridicules.  I have
also
 thought about pressure bar friction.  That may be as well.  Whatever the
case I
 think it needs to go back to the drawing board.

 Rob Goodale, RPT