Finish Question

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 07:56:45 +0200

Ken Jankura wrote:

> List,
>  I occasionally get an old upright that, with minimal regulating effort, is
> a decent entry-level piano. I enjoy that aspect of the work. As a
> non-refinisher, my question is, are there any quick ways to clean and
> polish an old 'alligatored' shellac finish to make it presentable? Some
> people actually like the aged look, (I'm one), but would like to see more
> shine and color. I've tried denatured alcohol to reamalgamate(?) the finish
> in the past, but that is rather risky, at least when one considers how easy
> it is to completely ruin it, and my lack of refinishing abilities. First of
> all what is the best way to get the dirt out of the cracked finish?
> Degreasers? Solvents? Murphys? Then, is sanding always necessary?  Do any
> polishes help bring the wood tone through the finish? Any suggestions
> greatly appreciated.
> Ken Jankura
> Newburg, PA

There is a product sold in the US called Finish Restorer and it does as well as
anything else for aligatored finishes. Make sure you read the back as I am not
sure its to be used on all finishes. I have also heard that if the finish
really is shellac and not fernis or something similiar, it can be re-polished
with the alcohol pad. You need to know a bit about french polishing to do this
tho. Cant help you with the dirt in the cracks problem. And I dont think
anything really quick and easy exists, tho it be nice if it did. grin

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway