voicing

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:27:12 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> * They're out there. I've seen negative bearing on a board with about 6mm of
> crown at the longest rib, and between 2 and 3mm in the killer octave. It
> looked like the plate had just been set too high in the first place, and
> lowering it a little should work wonders in that piano. If it was one of
> those where the tension could be dropped and the plate, pinblock, and
> strings could be lifted out as a unit, it wouldn't have been that hard to do.

This has gotta be on cheap pianos.. or what ???

> >Hmm.. I guess I need to be more precise. String deflection at the bridge is
> measured
> >before easing off string tension, and then again afterwards. The difference
> gives a
> >reading of how much the board rises with tension off. ie. crown. Does this jive
> with
> >your meaning of crown ?
>
> * Yes, sort of, but I meant crawling underneath with a string and
> flashlight, stretching the string from rim to rim against the underside of
> the board - parallel to and between two ribs. The gap between the string and
> the board in the middle is the crown.......

Ah... yes.. well we do this with a long straight edge that can be moved around a
bit on the underside of the board to check for flat spots and get a general
picture of the shape of the crown and how much there is under tension. It is my
understanding that as long as this is in good shape, and there is a noticeable
difference in the string deflection readings at the bridge before and after
tension is let down, then the board is worth fixing. This much I can do.

What I dont do is routinely lower the plate as part of such repairs. If I run into
one of the pianoes you mention above I suppose I will have to, but most of the
time I run into either reasonably ok boards, or ones that are just to far gone to
do anything about.

But what I'd like to be able to do is learn more about this buisness of how
ribbing, soundboard frequency modes, stringing scales and other such
considerations inter-relate. Until I do I am never going to really get to do much
more then "filling cracks" without screwing the piano up. (a bit overstated, but
you get my point) Finding written info on this is at best...er.. difficult and
time consuming. I'd love to take a couple years off and go work for somebody like
Del, but well I gots to make a living donts I.. grin.

> I hope this makes sense. I'm pretty helpless at trying to explain most
> things without pencil and paper, and lots of hand gestures (gesticulating
> wildly, occasionally scratching, often befuddled).
>
>  Ron N

Grin.. Me thinks ya does fine. Thanks to both you and Del for following up on this
one. Del, I do hope this book of yours is like out of the "how am I going to
start" phase and more into the "I need a publisher", grin. I aint getting any
younger. :)

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.   N.P.T.F.
Bergen Norway