Keyslip Chiropractic

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 19:50:07 EDT

I was perplexed by a warped keyslip on a Kawai grand and posed the following
question to Don Mannino who answered promptly with a simple solution that I
would have never thought of and would have been afraid to try if I had not
heard it from the manufacturer's rep, himself.

Remember that if you have the keyslip binding against the white keys of a
grand and causing them to stick down, you cannot shim the keyslip out from
the keybed the way you can in a verticle.  It would cause the action to not
be able to shift properly.  Now, this may seem obvious but the number of
business cards with the letters, "RPT" on them that I have pulled from
between the keyslip and keyframe is embarrasingly high.

There are different solutions for this problem depending upon how the keyslip
is made.  The Kawai and some other Asian brands have a similar design.
Thanks, Don, for  your prompt response in describing this unique approach to
curing the problem.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin

<<Dear Don,

I am having trouble with the keyslip of a Kawai KG-2E grand that is in a
theater.  I have taken care of this piano since it was put into service.  I
don't have the serial number info handy but I could get it.  It may still be
under warranty.

As I have told your colleague Ray Chandler, you will rarely hear from me
about a problem with a Kawai piano first of all, because they rarely have
problems and when they do, it is usually something I can repair or handle on
my own.

I have seen that other manufacturers have this kind of keyslip too.  The
problem is that it is bowed inward quite a bit and causes some of the white
keys in the center of the keyboard to bind and stick against it.  I have the
keyblock adjustments set all the way back (the tone is still normal in the
high treble) and there is plenty of clearance at the ends but the curvature
is so pronounced that keyslip runs right against the keyfronts in the center.

Of course I know better than to try to put a shim between the keyframe and
the keyslip because this would not allow the action to shift properly.  I did
put some pieces of buckskin on the underside of the keyslip in an effort to
tilt it away from the keys and just barely got some clearance.

Is there a way to correct this kind of warp or would Kawai replace the
keyslip under warranty?  (I'd rather adjust or repair it because if I know
how, I could do it on another piano that may not be under warranty).  The
theater director (who first suggested a shim between the keyframe and keyslip
but was told why that wouldn't work) thinks that the warp might be cured by
suspending the keyslip somewhere and hanging a weight on it to traction the
curve out of it.  This seems very doubtful to me.

What are you thoughts or solution to the problem?  (You may post this
question and answer on Pianotech if you think it would be of general
interest).

Regards,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin
Billbrpt@AOL.com>>

<<Bill,

Thanks for writing about the keyslip.

The wood on these keyslips is not very strong compared to the steel part of
the keyslip. The steel reinforcing rail is much, much stronger than the
wood, so the warping is most likely coming from people pushing the piano and
leaning on the keyslip.

To straighten it, simply take it out, lean one end against the (padded) seat
of a chair with the other on the (carpeted) floor, and bend it back out by
pushing down at the center. Several springing pushes will be needed to get
the feel for it - just keep flexing it with increasing pressure until it
goes straight, checking after each flex to see if it is straight yet.  It
will make creaking and cracking noises, but should not affect the finish.
After you are done straightening it, tighten all the small screws holding
the steel rail to the keyslip wood.

Don Mannino RPT, Manager
Kawai Piano Technical Support, US and Canada
DMannino@kawaius.com
http://www.kawaius.com>>