Steinway action rails

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 20:47:22 EDT

In a message dated 6/1/99 2:24:19 PM Central Daylight Time, you write:

<< List

 I'd like to hear from technicians that have successfully replaced stripped
 Steinway action rails.  I found a few posts from several years ago in the
 archives and I am wondering if anyone has anything else to add.  What about
 quality repairs that fall short of rail replacement?

 David Severance
 Dept of Music and Theater Arts
 Washington State University
 Pullman, WA 99164 >>

When I was in the practice of restoring pianos, I more or less expected those
kind of action rails to be stripped.  I found that epoxy thinned to a watery
consistency with acetone worked very well to size and give some strength and
resiliency to the old wood without changing any placement of the holes.

The same might be accomplished today with water thin CA glue.  If you place
each screw without the flange and lightly in the hole, let some of the thin
glue wick down the screw and into the threads.  The screw will break free
easily afterwards and you should have a firm feeling hole when you go to
assemble.  If there is an occasional hole that is still too loose, all you
need do is repeat the process until the glue has sufficiently sized the hole.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin